Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Day 34 - HALLOWEEN FUN

I knew I wanted to work with pumpkins and Halloween this week but I wasn't quite sure what we would do. We are still struggling with the dosage on Frog's Vyvance and he has had some pretty off days. When I logged onto 4-frogs this morning, I came across a link to the 5 Little Pumpkins poem at If I Only Had Superpowers


Diva loved this poem when she was in pre-school and I had just heard one of Frog's friends reciting it after he learned it at school. So I gathered up our 5 little pumpkins and Frog and I went downstairs to read the poem and roll the pumpkins away at the end. I went through it three times, but Frog was not impressed. Not even when he had a pumpkin muffin to eat while I acted out the story.

What he is impressed with is a Russian fairy tale I found in our ENKI material about Baba Yaga - an eight foot tall witch who lives deep in the forest in a hut on three chicken legs. Her black geese snatch up children and bring them to her to cook for dinner! The children in the story get away and make it home safely. Frog wants me to read it again and again. He even went to his composition book today while I was reading the story. He flipped through the pages until he came to the page with a witches hat and broom and the name Baba Yaga. He patted the page as I described the witch in the story.

For our art project, I cut contact paper into a pumpkin shape then had Frog put the face on it. Afterwards he got to sprinkle, pour and dump a mixture of rice, paper punch outs, and glitter over the pumpkin face. The glitter stuck best of all so we ended up with a sparkly pumpkin face.



After lunch, Frog got to spend some time in the autumn sunshine, jumping on the trampoline, playing in the sandbox, and running around the yard.




I had a meeting in the afternoon, so Grandpa came to our house to hang out with Frog. They had a good time :0)

We still have to decorate our big pumpkin. But given Frog's preference for witches, I got him a few dress-up options to make a witch, warlock or wizard costume for Halloween. We'll see what he thinks of it tomorrow.

3 comments:

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

ugh, Egg's school have told me, AFTER I ASKED, that there will be dress up on Friday. I don't know what I am going to do.

That story Frog likes so much, how odd! I have heard of a lot of autistic kids liking Dr seuss (totally the wrong spelling), and I think it is because it makes no sense..

It was great he went to get his book, fantastic :0)

happy to hear frog had a great time with grampa!

Frogs' mom said...

Hi Rainbowmummy,

Costumes are such a bugaboo with some of the ASD kiddo's. You'd think the school would know that you need some time to come up with something acceptable and Egg probably needs some time to get used to the idea and the costume.

We found another Baba Yaga story yesterday - apparently there are many. It was a longer version of a similar tale - he listened to every word. I was really impressed when he searched out the Baba Yaga page in his workbook too.

I thought he'd like Dr Seuss because of the rhyme, but he's never been a big fan.

Grandpa is one of Frog's favorite people right now!

Kari said...

I really enjoyed my visit on your blog today. :)