Thursday, September 4, 2008

Day Three - UP, UP, UP!

We started our day taking Diva to school. I sang the "Frog is getting in Mommy's Car" song and Frog took himself to the garage and climbed up into his seat without assistance. Diva is working on getting Frog to wave goodbye to her. She is very animated as she waves to him. I asked Frog if he was going to wave goodbye to Diva. He clapped yes, then put one hand up and played with his hair - its a start.

Back at home Frog quickly discovered that the fountain continued to foam all night. There was a mountain of soap bubbles with large pieces breaking off and floating around like low lying bubbly clouds. We had to go check that out. An hour later we were still playing with bubbles, the fountain and the sandbox. It was clear that I was not going to get Frog back into the house and I wanted to distract him from trying to climb up on top of the fountain, so I suggested we get in the pool. He didn't give me any response. I went in to get my swimming suit and some swim pants for Frog. When I looked out the window, I saw him up at the top of the stairs to the pool with his body plastered against the gate. I guess he was listening.



So our school morning was spent in the pool. At first he wanted nothing to do with me. He swam, he dove and swam under the water, he bobbed up and down - eventually he came up with the dive sticks I was throwing to get his attention. Slowly he warmed up to working with me. I came up with an auditory processing game I thought he would be able to participate in and enjoy - our version of Duck, Duck, Goose - we hold hands, he puts his feel on my knees and we slowly bounce around in a circle. I say duck, duck, duck, duck, duck, GOOSE - then take a big breath and we go under the water. After a few rounds he swam away. Later, when I asked him to play again, he took my hands, I began the circle, I said duck, and he said "gez" - down we went. We also practiced some of the hand movements from the Smart Moves video and practiced throwing the dive sticks overhand (hand over hand at this point).

We got out of the pool, dressed and ate some lunch then left to run errands and to keep Frog from climbing up on the counters. We put the Smart Moves video on in the car. At the bank, Frog got a lollipop. We had a long wait at the pharmacy drive-thru, but between the music and the lollipop, Frog stayed content. We ended our outing by stopping at the Estuary downtown on the waterfront.



We read the placard explaining that "An estuary is a semi-enclosed coastal body of water with one or more rivers or streams flowing into it, and with a free connection to the open sea. ..." In other words, its a big old transition. And that is exactly what our visit turned into. Frog was not happy about putting on shoes; he was not happy about looking for letters or words (or at least pointing them out); he was not happy about being asked to stand on his feet and move forward. Eventually he settled in and let me know that he did not want to go back to the car, he wanted to go to the observation tower. So we went, Frog in his socks, up, up, up the stairs of the observation tower. Such a happy Frog 15 feet off the ground, bouncing like a pinball off the tower fence. We spent some time pulling up the grass and watching the birds and boats then headed home to meet Diva.





Frog spent the rest of the afternoon showing off on the trampoline, playing in the sandbox and the water table. He even requested that I join him on the trampoline. We took turns and tried holding hands and jumping together (harder than it sounds). We finished our day by frosting and decorating the cookies we made yesterday. Frog watched as I said each feature I added to the cookie. He waited patiently until it was finished and I gave the "OK" before he grabbed a cookie and took off.

3 comments:

Christine said...

I LOVE using songs for transitions. When I first tried it I wondered how helpful it would be but now I'm sold! If anyone would have told me how easy this would make brushing teeth I would have started at the first sign of a tooth with Oliver :-)

Sounds like you guys are having some very full and very productive days!

Bonnie sayers said...

Nice pics. I remember when we had a trampoline and the jumpolene. I used the water table for beans and rice and Nick would play with his dinosaur toys for long periods of time. Matt would dive off the tranmpoline into the balls and stuffed animals into the jumpolene. Matt lost interest in trampoline so gave away on craigslist both of them since I needed the space for the ex bike. Nick uses it but not Matt.

Anonymous said...

You're doing such a great job with him!!! Thanks for sharing! I'll be back to read about the rest of your days later on. :) (I'm trying to get all my bookmarks/feeds in one place!!)
Have a great day!