Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Day Seven - GROW

Frog woke-up more like himself this morning. He did need a little cleaning up so he hopped into the bath while Diva and I got through the rest of the morning routine. No wave for Diva this morning - Frog turned away and looked out the window instead.

We started our morning with some rough and tumble Floortime play. Frog spent a little time outside running and swinging. Then we got down to business. My plan was to grow our program a little today - a little more focused work. We went downstairs to read our book - RED LEAF, YELLOW LEAF. I put a beanbag chair in front of the door so Frog had to stay downstairs with me. With me tucked back in this corner, he could see the book without feeling trapped or having to do too much interaction.



He laughed and laughed during the story. When I asked him if it was a good story he clapped, yes. Next I got out the stamping supplies. Frog reluctantly added 4 stamps to our art project - two leaves, a Pooh Bear/Piglet, and an O.



He was able to find and pat Pooh Bear on the picture when asked "Where is Pooh?"

We moved on to our letter work. I am starting with the letter A for Autumn, and Apple. He picked the letter A from a field of A, D, and P. Then we read the story and sang the song for A from the Animated Alphabet. When he got fussy, I let him sit and watch while I constructed an A out of Magic Noodles. I gave him some noodles to chew on. We ended with me asking a question about the Animated Alphabet story. We used rapid prompting. I had to chase him around the house with the clipboard, paper and pen - but he did answer the question - and answered it correctly. As promised he was allowed to go outside after the session. When he came in for lunch, I had him find the letter A on my computer key board. The MS Word program was running with the font size set at 72. We made several A's and some other letters on the computer.



Frog had a little more play time while I cleaned up from lunch. Then we found our shoes and headed for the nursery to shop for a tree. Our book said the best time to plant a tree is in the fall after it's leaves fall off. We went to look at trees to see what type we might want to plant.







Frog was very good at the nursery. He stayed with me and didn't touch too many of the plants. We took pictures of several trees, then shopped for some blueberry bushes for the front yard and some fall flowers for our pots. Frog decided, with a giggle and a grin, that he would like to jump onto the nursery cart we were pushing and take a ride with the blueberry bushes. He rode for the rest of the visit (no seat belt, only mom saying "sit down".)



We came home and planted most of our fall flowers. We'll plant the blueberry bushes and geraniums tomorrow. We swam for an hour or so and ate BBQ ribs and broccoli salad for dinner. Frog fell asleep around 7pm.

4 comments:

Christine said...

Oh, this post made me want to go and find some new things to plant in our garden!! I love this time of year!

Incidentally, I ripped off your idea for a homeschooling blog -- Though I haven't posted anything yet. (http://www.at-home-with-learning.blogspot.com/) Yours has been such a great motivator for me!!

Frogs' mom said...

Hi Christine,

Glad to have the company. I'll be over to check out your blog!

Anonymous said...

What a great day! I'm a little envious of your beautiful fall plants and flowers!!! :)

Frogs' mom said...

Hi Julie,

Thanks for all your comments and encouragement!

Frog and I got to go to one of the nicest (and most expensive) garden stores in town -because I had a collection of gift certificates that needed to be used. I love going to this nursery in the afternoon when there is no crowd. Everyone there is so nice to Frog.