Thursday, September 11, 2008

Day Eight - LISTEN

Frog started his day outside playing in the yard while I cleaned up a bit and got our playroom set-up. I made a fort with our mats and parachute, and hid some of his favorite noisy toys in the various nooks and crannies. I let Frog discover the Fort on his own...



We wore hats and looked at ourselves in the mirror. He searched for toys by their sound. We tried to find the purple ducks in the lucky duck game.




We played "find me" games with small wind chimes and running water in the bathroom. He tried to scale the walls of our Fort and experimented with how much weight he could put on top of the parachute. He did some jumping on the mini-tramp seeing how high and how far he could jump.

We followed this with a new story, Applesauce by Shirley Kurtz



In the ENKI curriculum many of the stories also have a shorter rhymed verse that retells the story. Beth suggested that I write similar verses for some of the stories I choose to use with Frog. So far he hasn't paid too much attention to these. For today's story, I composed a song. This held his attention better.

The song A is for Applesauce follows the story's recipe for apple sauce from picking the apples, cleaning and prepping the apples, cooking the apples, pressing the sauce, canning, and dreaming about applesauce. It also reinforces our letter A work. It is sung to a variation of twinkle twinkle. It also lends itself nicely to hand gestures. We will try making applesauce again after a week or so of this song and story.

We worked on the letter A again after the story session. Today, I did most of the work. Frog watched and did attempt to write one letter A and answered some rapid prompting questions.



After lunch Frog requested to make brownies. We looked at the box together and went slowly through the directions:

1. preheat oven
2. prepare pan
3. gather ingredients - water, oil, egg and mix
4. mix together wet ingredients and add mix
5. pour into pan
6. bake for 35 min.

Frog was willing to look at the box and listen to me read. He did not want to help with the mixing. He did want to help with the clean-up.



And if mom was not generous enough with the batter left on the spoon . . .


Help yourself to the bowl from the sink!

Frog took a bath while the brownies baked. He listened quietly as I read Duchess Autumn. I think this poem is beginning to sink in.

After the bath, we played some music. I've notice when Frog thinks nobody is listening, he will play a note on the piano then sing it back - perfectly in tune. That has to say something about his auditory processing. I got out my violin and played around for awhile - Frog jumped to the music. He also wanted a turn with my violin so I let him strum and pluck the strings while I held the instrument. His favorite part was sitting in my violin case while I had my instrument out. :0)

When Dad and Diva got home, the three of them headed for the pool. Frog and I will wait for the cool of the evening to plant our blueberry bushes, a hydrangea and a couple of rose bushes I need to transplant.

No comments: