Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Day Two - BUBBLES!

Today turned into a day of bubbles. It wasn't planned that way, but we go with the flow around here.

I wanted to get the kitchen cleaned-up before we started working. Yesterday Frog made several side trips to the kitchen where he got into and played in the cold, greasy, dirty water left in the pots I was soaking in the sink. It got all over him, the counter, and the floor - I spent too much time cleaning up. So today I wanted to nip that in the bud and take advantage of Frog's desire to play in the sink. We did the dishes and Frog was able to play in the warm, clean, soapy water to his heart's delight. Next I wiped down counters and the kitchen table - Frog wasn't so keen on that chore. Last we washed the hand prints off the sliding glass doors. Frog was fascinated with the spray cleaner I used. Since it was a non-toxic variety, I let him make a writing / art project out of it.



He then headed to the pantry to look for a quick snack. I unlocked the door for him and asked him what he wanted. He SAID "fish," clear as a bell, then grabbed the carton of goldfish crackers and took off with it! Yesterday when we got to the park he said "duck" then paused and said "ducka, ducka, ducka, ducka" which is a common babble for him so I didn't get too excited. But two clear words in two days - I think I'm going to have to start a Frog's Word of the Day in my sidebar!!!!!!!!!!

I had planned on doing some bubble art: adding food coloring to bubble solution then blowing the bubbles at the paper and letting them pop leaving colored bubble marks. Frog had absolutely no interest in this activity. I tried both a bubble wand and a bubble pipe (letting the bubbles fall down on the paper) the pipe worked much better. When I finished one painting without Frog, I decided to join him in his activity (playing in the fountain). I took the colored bubble solution and poured it from way up high into his hands above the fountain. We looked at the colored soap on his hands and watched it swirl into the water. In no time, we had suddsed the fountain which Frog thought was just great!

Frog spent some time playing with the hose while I prepared the next project. My plan was to make Gack in his water table. Frog liked the dry cornstarch, but when I added the water he was out of there. Before giving up on the idea, I tried adding more water then I added a few drops of the food coloring I was using for the bubbles. Frog was willing to come over and give this a quick try:



After which he headed back to his bubbly fountain. I'm going to have to think of more ideas to incorporate that fountain! The color swirl in the water table turned out better than I had hoped. I'm going to post more about it next week for my "Try It Tuesday" post at 4-Frogs.

When Frog was finally ready to come back inside, Dad was home and he helped Frog help me to get the ingredients for the pizza dough into the bread machine. Frog poured in the buttermilk and the sugar (after he had a quick taste of course). Frog loves the bread machine.



I tried to squeeze our story time in here, but should have waited for bath time. Frog wanted to go outside. I told him to wait for Diva to come home from school. When I tried to read the story he went into major melt down, then grabbed a blanket and headed for bed. I don't think he ever got to sleep, but the self-imposed time out seemed to help him regroup.

We are running a little behind schedule here. Plans for the rest of our day include harvesting those squash for our dinner, swimming (more bubbles), decorating some sugar cookies for dessert (our faces project), and getting our story in before bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day! We're trying to be flexible too. Ok, make that I'M trying to be flexible, go with the flow, etc! :D I love the bubble art idea and will try that with Daniel soon! I've never heard of that before, but I think it would be a hit.

Thanks for sharing parts of your day!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea with the coloured bubbles, I cannot wait to try it!!