Friday, September 19, 2008

Day Fourteen - GO FROG GO

Today started off auspicious - First thing this morning, Frog danced a gig to the sliding glass door, pounded on the window and said Deerrrrrr (trilling that r like a pro). Sure enough there were two deer bounding through the yard - doing the same dance as Frog. When we got to Diva's school, Frog waved goodbye to Diva then gave her a high five (without a physical prompt).



At 11:15, we headed for the playground where we knew we'd find the pre-school playgroup. Frog had been excited about this for days. He's been stealing the SMART MOVES book off my nightstand almost everyday. He takes things like this often, but the fact that he kept coming back for the same book made me wonder.



Looking at the cover of the book I had a hunch. I sat Frog down and asked if he liked the picture. He patted the book. I asked if he saw a girl on a swing - he found it. I asked if there was a boy climbing a tree - he found that. I asked if he wanted to go back to the playground with the kids - an enthusiastic two clap YES!

Frog was in a bit of a mood today. There were lots of tears and sad faces, lots of arm biting, lots of struggles getting into and keeping clothing on. But every time I asked if he wanted to go to the playground I got an immediate yes - even through the tears. When we got to the playground, Frog jogged from the car to the kids on his own - no handholding or redirection needed. He got a little overwhelmed when one of the boys got right in his face and asked him questions - he threw a hand out to pinch, but stopped himself and ran off to rock and cry.

The boy was OK and continued to try to interact with Frog. I explained that Frog didn't talk, but could understand what he said to him. The boy introduced himself. He tried a couple of times to include Frog then gave up on talking. He resorted to the common childhood taunt rift - "na, na, na-na, na" He didn't seem to be doing it in a mean or taunting way and Frog - who can readily tune into music - found it charming. He even gave the boy a smile and a giggle. Frog did a lot of referencing with the adults. And the kids were fascinated and a bit perplexed by all the pea-gravel Frog was dropping into his mouth.

At home we worked on the letter A and P. I helped Frog to use his pointing finger to find the A on his Vantage. After we had A, I added letters until the word-predict function showed Apple. I helped Frog choose Apple. Then I asked him to find the letter P. He found the letter I. Then he found the letter M. Then he found the letter F and choose Floor from the word-predict choices. We finally found the letter P and I added letters until we could choose Pumpkins from the word predict options. He came back to the Vantage later on his own. He pushed the letter R and choose Rainbow from the word-predict choices. Then he pushed the letters HY.



I helped him to write the letters A and P in his composition book. He did these while he was half in and half out of his chair.



We also worked on pointing and color identification using a fall wreath Diva made.



We added a new book today Apples and Pumpkins. This will transition us from our apple theme to our pumpkin theme and is the first mention of Halloween. (Later tonight I found the book in Frog's room. I think he took it up there to have a better look at it). After the story, we took some of our remaining apples, some peanut butter, and some birdseed, nuts and berries and made a bird feeder.



Frog used his scissors to cut the ribbons. I helped him get his fingers into the right position and held the ribbon between the blades. Frog checked out the feeder in the yard a couple of times on his own. He also enjoyed playing with the left-over seed in the sensory table.



Frog and I played in the sandbox and jumped on the trampoline while we waited for Diva and Grandma to get home from school. When Frog saw Grandma, I asked him if he wanted to give her the applesauce he made for her. He got a big grin on his face. A few minutes later he let himself out of the trampoline. He made his usual circuit back to the house (slide, sandbox, fountain) then went inside. Grandma said "where's my applesauce?" Frog walked to the refrigerator. Grandma asked again, "where's my applesauce?" Frog patted the refrigerator. Grandma asked "should I open it?" Frog SAID "ged-id" which both Grandma and I heard as "get it." Frog's Dad asked him later if he was excited to give Grandma the applesauce he made - Frog clapped twice with a smile.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you ever seen the sissors with two sets of finger holes?

Frogs' mom said...

Hi Rainbowmummy,

We haven't tried a set like that yet. The ones he is using now are spring-loaded so the spring back open unless you keep squeezing them. I think he used this type at his old school. We just got them out yesterday - before that we just worked on tearing paper (which he loves to do). I'll have to see how long it takes to get him using the scissors on his own.

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

I have not tried them either but I think I might "invest" (lol they come very cheap) in a pair. We have spring loaded too. I think it might be just what my son needs to get the hang of it, find the rhythm.

Well I had only read your post quickly, but now that I had the chance WOW! His speech, you must be over the moon!!!!

I have been having A LOT of bother setting up this account, but I think I have finally got it, phew. I have you on my page!! A little to nervous to write anything though lol.

Frogs' mom said...

Let me know how the "investment" fares :0)

We are thrilled to hear the words - but remain cautiously thrilled becuase this is a pattern with him - say the word once and then it dissapears for long stretches. Still a word is a word and now we know they are in there! This is one reason we know his receptive language is intact.

Christine said...

Oliver loves to shred paper, too! And he JUST discovered a love for the scissors. Now I have to hide everything that I don't want cut into tiny pieces.

It's great that frog is so excited to go to the playground with the other kids! We're seeing similar things and it I know how good it feels.

Frogs' mom said...

Hi Christine,

I'm so impressed with all that Oliver is starting to do. Frog goes through developmental spurts too. I hope he will follow in Oliver's footsteps. Do you have any fun cutting exercises in mind for Oliver - to fulfill his need to cut? Will he follow lines, or is he still exploring?
I am thrilled with Frog’s new found desire to interact with other kids. He started wanting to “play” with Diva’s friends in the pool this summer – nearly drowned a couple with his enthusiasm! I’m hoping the kids in the pre-school group will continue to encourage him until he develops a little more confidence to try it on the big playground with age mates.