Thursday, November 6, 2008

Day 35 - Back to Frog School

We started the morning with a decision. We had 4 more days left on our medication trial. I had reduced Frog's dosage back to 5mgs last week to see if having more time to adjust to the way his perceptions changed would make a difference. He continued to cycle between clam/lethargic to sensory overload melt down with prickly feet, large red itchy splotches, lots of tears and the need to go to his room and sleep it off. He also has gone quite manic every day around 4 or 5 pm, running and yelling non-stop. His therapists were very happy with his session yesterday, but still reported red itchy splotches and discomfort. Frog and I have really not had any quality home school time since we started the medication trial. This morning I decided we have had enough. So today was school without meds.

We started the day with Frog choosing pancakes for breakfast. He ate a little bit before we had to leave to take Diva to school. He ate a granola bar in the car. With a little prompting, Frog gave Diva something between a high five and a wave goodbye. At home we finished breakfast then headed downstairs for some Floortime. Frog wanted to climb up the mats against the wall. We turned it into a climbing and sliding game with an anticipatory 1, 2, 3, go! Later he moved to his swing. He let me move my body into the swing and add additional pressure for proprioception. We used the setting for requesting and working on the ee sound - with the choices "eat sweet feet?, squeeze knees?, or kiss please?" There was lots of Frog laughter, twinkling eyes, requests (offering me the body part he wanted pressure on) and ee sounds. We moved on to music and took turns strumming the guitar and singing/vocalizing into the karaoke machine.

Frog decided he would like to take a bath. This fit well into our school day, as stories work best for Frog when he has water to play with. Since today is a very rainy day and there are at least 4 more days of rain forecast, I thought rain would be a good subject. We re-read It's Fall and talked about the changes we've seen outside this week. Then I read Coyote's Rain Song, a Native American story from our ENKI folk and fairy tales. I had the pleasure of taking Diva to see According to Coyote at the Seattle Children's theater.



Gene Tagaban , the gifted story teller, brought Coyote to life for me. At the time, I really wished that Frog had been able to see the show with us - but I knew it was still too much for him. I must admit, I heard Gene's voice and saw Gene's mannerisms in my head while I told the story today. Frog and I both enjoyed it. (side note: If you ever get the opportunity to see According to Coyote performed or to see Gene Tagaban perform or speak - do not miss it!)

After I finally talked Frog out of the tub, we opened up the windows and doors so we could hear the rain. We also listened to the rain pounding on the skylights while I got our art supplies ready. Then went outside in the rain (and got almost as wet as Coyote) to do our art project - rain painting. I put a few drops of food coloring onto white paper plates and we took them outside into the rain. The rain bounced off the food coloring and splashed colors around the plates. Frog did not want to stick around for the "art" but rather ran around and experienced the rain bouncing off of him. He did come back and checkout the finished product.



After the plates dried in a warm oven, we used them for our lunch. Frog actually ate half his lunch today - including some yogurt WITH A SPOON (but only a little - he didn't want more if he couldn't use his fingers).



Frog also has a new box from Grandpa C.



Today, instead of using our composition book, we got out the markers and made lines and scribbles on the box.



We also discovered that when you push the box against the window, the box has a smaller window to look through - another perspective on the yard.



We finished off our school day with some more Floortime, including throwing and catching a ball - to musical rather than verbal cues. It is now 2:30 and Diva will be home soon. Frog is not having a melt-down and does not appear to be heading for a nap any time soon. Since we have had a week of sleep problems, I'm hoping this is another sign that stopping the medication is the right thing to do.

8 comments:

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

You know my thoughts on meds, but I am feeling for YOU just now.

Sounds like a fabby day!! I love the plates. Wish we were in the same country, lol, then the kids could run around crazy in the rain and we could do fun crafts!

Hooray for the spoon!We have a sensory need-thril/no utensils issue with mash potato "a little bit like modeling clay" so I am told. He is going to die when I finally make some add colouring and let him just play with it! Perhaps you could do this with yoghurt.

Hmmm how about a "rain maker" tube with beans or similar in? Might be fun!

Frogs' mom said...

Hi Rainbow Mummy -

Ha! Rain stick is on deck for tomorrow's craft - great minds think alike :0) I wish we could get these guys together too! I've often daydreamed of winning the lottery and getting several of my bloggy friends and their families together in real life!

We have done that with yogurt - and painted the windows with it too :0) There go those great minds again!

Anonymous said...

I have been wondering how you all have been! I love hearing about your days...the ups and downs, the challenges, what Frog likes and doesn't and the interesting activities you do with him!! I wonder if Daniel would like that plate project. He loves art...hates the rain. Hm....! :D

Sue said...

Sounds like you had a much better day without the meds. I hope you feel good about your decision.

I love the rain art. Nutkin doesn't like to be inside when it rains (it may thunder any moment after all), but oddly he loves to be out in it. I'll have to try that one next rainy day.

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

frogs' mom, should we just write a book already? LMAO!

It does make me sad, in a really soppy way that I will never actually meet any of the wonderful ppl I talk too here or even on YT. But winning the loto sounds nice, count me in! You know the funny thing is if all my blog/YT friends were "real people" just down the road we would prob have no time for eachother!

I bet frog loooooooooooved the window yogurt!!

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

I'm sorry the meds didn't work out for you. It sounds like a wonderful day, though. Bet Frog slept well that night.

Halo said...

My daughter would just love that box!!!

We have gone through many a large box, she cant get enough of them!

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

Hello there frogs mom, a little thank you post in your honor at mine :0)
Thanks x