Saturday, November 15, 2008

I've been busy here at the pond dividing my time between home schooling, starting a business, and working with the IEP team to get Frog a new school placement by January. We were also feeling a bit under the weather last week so everything took longer than it should have.

Here are a few of our home school highlights:

I'm outing Frog on this one, but I thought using the letters he's been writing to write his name was a reasonable and important goal. I have a magnetic alphabet fishing game and we used it to "fish out" the letters in his name an put them in the right place. I sang about the letters in his name as we fished.



He was supposed to follow up by connecting the dots to write his name - but that was more than he was willing to do this first time out. I'm hoping as we continue with this game he will become patient enough with it to actually teach him how the game is supposed to be played.

We continued reading Coyote's Rain Song from our ENKI fairy tales. Frog seems to enjoy this story. Our composition book was not handy, so we used a sheet of tag board. He was able to identify the word CLOUD from the two words on the sheet. He copied the letters C and R with support and resistance.



We made a rain stick to shake while we sing the rain song from the story. I had Frog put the letter C in the Cloud (with support from me after we practiced making the letter C together). I had him put Coyote under the rain cloud. Finally I had him put dots (for rain drops) falling from the cloud (I helped him hand over hand with this). I had already partly assembled the stick, and had him pour the beans into the tube. I finished tapeing the ends and putting his picture on the outside.




Later in the week we read a new Baba Yaga story -



a Russian version of Cinderella. It is a rather long story, but Frog has listened to it twice already. I'm hoping to interest him in a little doll making before we move on from the story.

There has also been a lot of play time, running in the wind, and making music together. Today we went to Frog's new school and met his new teacher and the rest of his team. It went very well. We will see how things go in January when there are more rules and expectations to stay on task.

6 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

sweeet. Little Frog doing his name!! That's a saver.

Frogs' mom said...

Hi Mrs. C - It would be nice for him to at least be able to answer the "What's your name?" question. I don't think he will be writing independantly any time soon, but I don't think writing his name is beyond his fine motor abilities. I just got him a stamp that prints his name in a dot fashion that he can trace to connect the dots. We'll have to see if this becomes something he is interested in!

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

LMAO I clicked on here the other day but had to leave, I can't remember what I had to do (probably involves chasing or wiping, lol) but I did see the name picture and I was thinking who the hell is that? and why is she teaching him that (you read frog so many times you start to think it is his name, when I think about Egg in my head I call him Egg, how odd is that?)!!

So frog is going back to school?? I think whatever happens will be for the best, everything works out in the end.

I like the sound of the stamp! Nice rain stick too! We done a paper plate tambourine you guys might like, decorate two paper plates on the bottom/back, we used stickers (great for motor skills and not stressing mum with mess :0) ) then put a little bit of pasta and close and staple (I added stickers to cover the back of the staples) done!

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

Hi frogs' mom. I know you are super busy and that is prob why you are not blogging but just wanted to check all is ok? Wishing you and yours well and know that you are missed :0) x

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

Me again. In January, seems so close, with a holiday slap bang in the middle. Ugh, I feel for you. I am sure you are the most perfect person ever to organize those "cooks" ! You won't let the "spoil the broth"!

If you ever need to vent you know where I am at YT, confidential as always :0)

xxxxx

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Hey... hope you are all ok!!