Friday, October 17, 2008

Day 29 and 30 -

Day 29 was a day off for Frog - Frog's mom was on the computer all day working on a real estate transaction. When Frog's mom wasn't looking, Frog did some drafting too - which meant Mom had even more drafting to do.

Frog continues to show the pattern of regulation - disregulation and gets worn out around 4pm. He did seem to sleep through more of the night last night.

Day 30 we've tried to get back on track and focused our attention on Geese. We read The Mournful Goodbye from our ENKI nature stories. It is the story of Little Goose and her first migration. Then we did a little art project. I did one by myself while I hummed the tune I'd been using to sing the verse from the story:

High honks and low,
Fast wings and slow,
The skies all one song,
That echos below.






Frog moved in and out while I worked and hummed. He played with the feathers, and licked the stamps. Eventually he let me help him drop some feathers on his goose page and press the stamp on the page instead of on his body. He took the crayon from me and added a few marks of his own.



Later we worked on the letters G for goose and V for V-formation. Both were part of our goose story. Frog was able to find the word V formation in the book, and put the paper goose with the word goose. He reluctantly wrote the letter G, and enjoyed removing the bean geese from the V formation. (I re-glued them several times before I took the picture :0).



Frog was getting tired and started having mini meltdowns. He finally went to his room for some quiet time. When he came back down, he said he was ready to go to his NAET appointment. He was being treated for grass. When the treatment began he got really silly - very engaged - and pretty loud. I always feel sorry for the person trying to enjoy an acupuncture treatment in the next room when Frog is with me. He did quite well for the rest of the night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've been talking about geese too, but I love how you've done it with the art and notebook. :)

Frogs' mom said...

Hi Julie -

Most of our learning is more incidental and indirect - looking at geese in the sky, flying like geese around the yard. Playing duck, duck, goose (our version), making honking sounds, singing goose songs. Frog can only take a limited amount of directed work and is really not into art. We get a lot our of our little composition book session in the 5 to 10 minutes we actually spend on them - word identification, art, letter recognition and writing, typing (on the vantage) and some story recall. The extra art project was all about letting Frog come to it on his own. I couldn't resist "helping" him put the feathers on the goose - and that was where I lost him. I need to work on not "spooking" him.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. I get a lot of ideas from you...and I'm learning that how we did it is just fine- that there is not one kind of normal. I hope you take that as a compliment because I don't mean it in any other way! Have a great day today!!

Julie